Domestic violence is pervasive and impervious. As COVID-19 continues to spread, domestic violence continues to take its course. In fact, people impacted by violence and abuse are likely to experience additional stressors caused by the loss of employment, school closures and social isolation. It is for these reasons that we remain devoted to our mission to eliminate domestic violence through compassionate intervention, education and personal empowerment – although the way we provide this support will be a little different, as we attempt to adjust to our new normal. Please see below for updates regarding WSLB operations, programs and services:
WSLB Operations, Programs and Services
• The WSLB Domestic Violence Resource Center (DVRC) located at 4201 Long Beach Blvd., Suite 102, Long Beach, CA 90807 is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm and by appointment. Please call (562) 437-7233 for more information or to make an appointment.
• Our 24-Hour Crisis Hotline and confidential emergency supportive housing facility, Cherese’s Safe Home, will continue to operate as usual, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are experiencing domestic violence, please call our 24-Hour Crisis Hotline at (562) 437-4663. If it is safer to reach out via email, contact us at email@example.com. All services are provided at no cost and in English and Spanish. If it is a life-threatening emergency, please call 911.
• If you are interested in making an in-person donation, please contact Mary Ellen Mitchell at MEMitchell@wslb.org. If you are interested in learning more about how you can support us during this time, please visit our donations webpage by clicking here. All monetary donations support WSLB’s life-saving services, now more than ever before.
• The spring 2020 WSLB 40-Hour Domestic Violence Counselor Advocate Training is cancelled. Details regarding dates for the upcoming training will be shared as soon as they are available. If you have questions regarding the training, please contact Nina Taweepong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• All in-person WSLB outreach and education services are suspended until further notice, although we are working on making online presentations available to the public. If you would like to learn more about these services or have questions, please contact Nina Taweepong at email@example.com.
Resources and Tips
• During this difficult time, our connections with one another are more important than ever. We encourage you to take an active role in slowing the spread of COVID-19 by adhering to current health guidelines. As you practice social distancing, we also encourage you to keep your family and friends in mind. Whether it be a phone call, text message or video chat call, reach out to loved ones as a friendly reminder that they are not alone, because we are all in this together.
• We know that the home may not be the safest place for everyone. WSLB is here to provide support to victims and survivors of domestic violence. We are fortunate to work with a network of great organizations providing critical support. Please see below for a list of additional resources:
- Homeless services:
Long Beach Multi-Service Center
1301 W. 12th Street, Long Beach, CA 90813
Phone: (562) 570-4500
- Legal services:
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- Sexual assault services:
YWCA 24-Hour Sexual Assault Crisis Line: 1(877) 943-5778
- Teen dating violence services:
Love is Respect 24-Hour Hotline:
1(800) 799-7233 or text LOVEIS to 22522
- Domestic violence services:
National Domestic Violence Hotline
- 24-Hour Hotline: 1(800) 787-3224
With new information every day, responses are evolving. We will continue to communicate details regarding updates/changes at WomenShelter of Long Beach and the services provided. Please take care, stay healthy and call us if you need us. We are here for you. Thank you.
This page was last revised on Thursday, April 16, 2020.